Christmas Decorating on a Budget
I've had times in my life when I was literally scraping the bottom of the decorating barrel, looking for ways to make my home more festive without spending a dime.
I was in such dire straits, I didn't dare go purchase a Christmas tree. However, I didn't want my kids to know the situation. I wanted them to feel secure and happy and
enjoy the Christmas season. We had always had a Christmas tree, however, and that was definitely on my agenda. So for those of you who are pinching pennies and need to
get everything you can as inexpensively as you can, here are some ideas that might help you with your "Christmas Decorating on a Budget" Plan.
- I like to use strings of beads on my trees, but when finances were tight, we popped popcorn and sprayed it with gold or silver glitter and strung the popcorn instead.
- Look in your garden or at a near by park or beach for discarded items from nature to use. These items are free for the taking, in most cases.
- Spray painted sand in a clear bottle can become an attractive table ornament.
- Colorful wrapping paper (not the expensive foils) will add instant color. Try to find papers that color coordinate for best results.
- A bowl filled with colorful fruit will make your dining room table look exquisite.
- A bowl of chestnuts or party nuts brings a festive feeling into the room.
- If you go out on Christmas eve or the day before to your local supermarkets and other stores that sell Christmas trees, you can often find trees for free that
would just get thrown out. But if you get a free tree, check it thoroughly for extra dryness, as a really dry tree can become a fire hazard.
- Handmade gifts are always appreciated and you get cut a lot of expense out of gift giving by making presents.
- Dress up your wrapped gifts with items collected from nature: a pine sprig, a pine cone, or just a handmade card or note. I love handwritten notes with a message
written just for me from the giver. I'll often remember the message on the note long after I've forgotten the gift. And it sure won't hurt the budget either.
Quick Christmas Decorating Links
Christmas Decorating Outside
Christmas Decorating Holiday Idea
Christmas Decorating Business
Christmas Decorating House Idea
More Holiday Decorating Links
Buying a Turkey
Get free decorating tips for your home or the homes of your clients. Send a blank email to our List Manager and you'll
be added automatically, but you must CONFIRM your subscription request. A request for confirmation will be sent to the email address you provide. We are a
spam-free site and will never sell, trade or give away your email address to anyone for any purpose.
Decorating Newsletter - Must Confirm
Become a Home Stager or Interior Redesigner
We have many affordable options to learning the home staging and/or interior redesign business. View our 3-minute video overview, then
select an option that is right for you.
1) Home Staging - Home Stagers
2) Interior Redesign - Interior Redesigners
3) Home Staging Redesign
Barbara Jennings is author of 10 decorating books: Decor Secrets Revealed, Rearrange It, Home Staging for Profit, Home Staging for Yourself,
Arrange Your Stuff, Advanced Redesign, Pro Art Consulting, Where There's a Wall - There's a Way, The Art of Hanging Art, Great Parties! Great Homes!
2002-Present Copyright Decorate-Redecorate.Com |